Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 4 - A Renewed Commitment

Alrighty, so... I've been back from DC for 40 days.

I miss it. And yes, I counted the days.

I'm still trying to think about all the things I learned, all the things I experienced, and all of the people I met in DC. And all of the people I missed back home. I still get a nervous feeling in my stomach when I think about how I missed the people here while I was there for that week.

But then there's the pull factor...and it's pulling harder than ever. Two of my best friends are following their dreams to California this week. (Yes, Shawn Schmalken...I said two of my BEST friends.) I can honestly say I never thought that Nina and I would become such good friends when we started student teaching together, but I love that girl, and I miss her terribly even though she's only been gone four days. And then there's Shawn, and, well, he's just amazing. I'm so tired of having to hear from people that they're not incredible when I tell them they are, so let's just go with it this time, okay?! IC saw something special in that young man, and I see it, too. Go for it...between now and December learn everything you can about nonprofits and cherish every moment...you have no idea how much others are jealous of the opportunity you have. Just do it. When you get back, we have a nonprofit of our own to develop.

So I have to visit SoCal soon.

But back to DC... Now don't get me wrong. There are a million people here I love more than they know, and I get anxious just thinking about having to leave them. But there are fewer and fewer people here as time goes on. When it comes down to it, I'm tired of watching everyone else go for their dreams while I continue to run in place. A song by Shinedown ("Second Chance") has spoken to me lately...I've tried to tell my parents and everyone here why this is so important to me, and now I have to take my chance. So despite everything and everyone that I love here, I have to go because there's no way around it...the path for me to get what I want is not here in Milwaukee.

All that said, I'm working on my commitments with MMUN and getting their delegate guides ready and staffing the conference in February, and I'm studying for the GRE starting this week. As soon as the GRE is done next month, I'm turning to visiting grad schools and filling out applications.

I will not let my options crash down around me, and I will not let life pass me by.

Yes, I am going to keep up with this blog... Why? Because it's kinda grown on me. It saw me through more incredible times in DC than I can count, and I'm heading back. I can feel it.


Final thoughts:
--My fortune cookie tonight read as follows: "Smile often and see what happens." I can't tell you how quickly I smiled and thought of Trent and Nina...love you both. Remember, smiling is the only disease to spread.
--Shawn, I believe in you. Do not EVER forget that. And I'll see you soon. Remember what I said when you offered to help me with the wedding invites? I meant it. <3
--Nina, I miss ya already. If you need absolutely anything, I'll always just be a call away. I know how the teaching gig goes, and I'll be out to visit and fill what little spare time you have as soon as I can. Love ya, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment