Friday, August 14, 2009

JoLeah.

So today I was uploading the last few of my pictures from DC, including the ones from THE lobby day, and I got to thinking about a young woman named JoLeah.

Now, I'm not sure what you should all know about JoLeah to understand this story, but she's essentially the same age as me, is from Texas and went to Texas A&M. She graduated, I believe, the same semester I did and was working for Invisible Children as a Regional Assistant for How It Ends. In actuality, this job meant she set up the summer and fall Roadie tours and helped to plan our lobbying initiative called How It Ends. Anyway...


So here I am, in the middle of one of the most memorable days of my life. I just got out of a meeting with Senator Feingold's office, and I'm going down to the cafeteria on the ground level (not the basement or the lobby level...the one in-between) of the Hart Senate Office Building. This is seriously EPIC...and I do not just throw that word around. I grab some fries and a veggie burger, and I end up offering a seat at my table to a kind-looking young woman who I know is with Invisible Children. I catch her nametag--"JoLeah Stiles." I recognize that name as one of those famous IC names, but we haven't met.

Then we get to talking, and this girl is simply amazing...inspiring, really. At some point, I get her to tell me about herself and how she got into working with IC and what she's been doing and the whole deal. Immediately, I'm just a bit jealous. I so wish I had the opportunity to do all this with my life.

Then she asks me what I'm studying and such, how I found myself in DC, etc. After talking for, oh, probably 15 minutes, she knows all about my love for DC, desire to work for a nonprofit, love for IC, and want to make a difference in the world...and I feel like I have known this girl FOREVER. All the things I can't tell my family or friends out of fear of them disliking my ideas, I have told her.

Then comes the amazing part. JoLeah is telling me to apply for the Roadie internship. She wants me to become a bigger part of IC. She wants me to move to DC. She wants me to follow my dreams. Basically all the things I know will probably cause some rockiness at home...those are the things she wants me to do. JUMP FIRST, FEAR LATER is, after all, the IC motto.

After 15 minutes, I felt like I had known JoLeah forever. She inspired me. She wanted me to make myself better. We had never met before, but I felt like this girl changed the direction of my life. All the things I WANTED to do...well, somehow now I felt like I had permission to do them.


So now I'm doing a whole lot of planning back at home. Studying for and scheduling the GRE, planning on making my third trip out to DC within a 9-month period, looking at graduate schools...all of the things I need to do to make a big move.

And I can't say it's all because of JoLeah, but she certainly had a part in it. When I was leaving my hostel the morning we started lobbying, a very good friend of mine sent me a text message saying, "Listen to what Someone is telling you today." I very firmly believe that Someone (and that's Someone in particular) was talking to me through JoLeah that day.

To JoLeah: We've only talked a couple times since, but I feel like we've known each other a lifetime. Keep fighting the good fight. Would love to meet up again someday...until then, stay amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment