Thursday, August 6, 2009

Happening Upon Things...

So lately I've been happening upon things.

This weekend I was at Target browsing through the jewelry section, and I saw this necklace I would never, ever wear. So then why did I turn it over?! I have no idea. But I did, and it read "Hold onto your dreams." Then I realized it was a locket, and on the inside it read "Fortune favors the brave." Put that together, and what a quote.

Then I pay attention to the radio at work, for once, and it's playing Nickelback's new song, "If Today Were Your Last Day," which has lyrics like: "My best friend gave me the best advice: He said each day's a gift and not a given right, leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind and try to take the path less traveled by...If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late would you...donate every dime you had, if today was your last day? Against the grain should be a way of life...every second counts 'cause there's no second try, so live like you're never living twice...You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are. So do whatever it takes 'cause you can't rewind a moment in this life. Let nothing stand in your way..." Hella strong lyrics.

Oh, and then did I mention that I happened upon something that I wrote in DC, when I was sitting in the Hart Senate Office building:
6-23-09
Sometimes people say things to you that sound really odd, but they're really important in the end.
This morning, Lara told me to listen to "Someone taking to me today." Later on, I had a thought: "I belong here." People keep mistaking me for a local. I "look like I DO work here." Apparently I did well in the meetings, and my leadership is appreciated, at least by some. I "should apply to become a Roadie," and I should come out to DC. I keep getting all of this advice, and all from people I barely know. (Granted, they are MY people.) I love it. I love being HERE.
I almost wish the logical part of my mind would turn off sometimes. The part that remembers logistical things like parking and rent and jobs can be such a pest sometimes. I'm seeing my dream, and I just want to follow it.
I'm going to follow-up with some of the people I've met here and see where it leads. Jessica secured an internship with the State department all on her own and came out this fall. Peter Quaranto has a job as the Legislative Advisor for African Affairs, and I'm not sure how he got that position, but I WANT it. John seemed bored with his job, but I'm curious how he got it anyway. I'd love something with some research, some talking about important ideas, and some change-making involved. Maybe that involves a non-profit, maybe the government; either way, I will find out. There is no reason why I can't try things out. Perhaps my next step will be looking into those internships in Senate or House offices. Of maybe state-level offices? Maybe I'll take the GRE and see where it takes me. There are many possibilities, and I HAVE to find out what they are.
I love it here, and I'm coming back soon.


WOW...crazy, crazy stuff. Somebody up there is talking to me. Just have to figure out what He's saying for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment