Thursday, June 25, 2009

Do yourself a favor...don't fly on American Airlines.

Not too much to write today...just lots of travel.

Was woken up this morning (the only morning I've been able to sleep in, and I was only trying to sleep until 9) by some very rude girls in the hostel. So that was lovely. Anyway, got up, got ready, got breakfast...the usual.

Checked on flights...everything appeared to be fine. Heck, even gates were posted. All was well. Got picked up by the shuttle right on time, and the driver was okay until he decided to tell us we had to fit in 5 more people even though we already had 9 people in the van plus the driver. Apparently none of us had a sense of humor.

Got to the airport, and the man at the outside check in sent me inside, saying they wanted me to check in at the inside counter for some reason, but he didn't know what that was. (I had a fairly good idea, but I didn't want to explain all that to him.) So I went inside, waited a good 20 minutes in line (again), and I still don't know why I had to check in inside...the man never did tell me that.

So I got my tickets, went down, waited around, boarded the plane...all no problem. The ride was quite turbulent, but even that was fine. The guy next to me on this flight was a veteran of First Persian Gulf, and he was very interesting, so that was nice. We talked some and I even slept for like 1/2 an hour, which I can't usually do on planes. (Darn headaches.)

So turbulent flight aside, things are going well. This, of course, is where things go bad.

I get to Chicago, and we are put at the smallest, most cramped gate ever. Mind you, it only has like 10 seats. So I decide I'm going to have lunch at the Chili's restaurant across the way so I can have a seat. Fine. I get done and they've changed our gate, thank goodness. (I have a THREE HOUR layover.) I go to the new gate, watch some CNN, get really sleepy, etc.

Then they tell us that our plane is delayed 10-15 minutes because the last plane was a little delayed, so they just have to do the safety check and we'll be off. Fine...I can handle 10-15 mins. After TWENTY minutes, they start boarding us, and I think we ended up starting to taxi out about 30 mins late, which puts us at about 6:20. Fine, I can deal with this.

Then we realize we are NINTH in line to take off!!! Nothing we can do about it, of course, so we wait. And wait. And wait. Next thing you know, the captain comes on saying we're 3rd in line now. Fine. Then we don't move an inch for like 10 mins. Suddenly, the captain comes on again...a plane HIT A BIRD ON THE RUNWAY, so they have to make sure it's clear of any foreign objects (i.e. bird claws). LOL.

FINALLY, we take off about a few mins after 7. By this time, the flight attendant has been rude to a pregnant woman who just asked for water because we had been sitting on the plane for an hour by this time.

We landed before 7:30. Yes, the flight was all of like 20 minutes. We sat on the plane, on the ground, for about FOUR TIMES AS LONG AS THE FLIGHT!!! The bus was looking really good at some points, but I guess at least we made it.

So now I'm home, and of course I came home to a disaster of a bedroom because of the water the night before I left. That was nice to remember when I came downstairs. Oh well...forces me to reorganize and maybe weed out some things. It is good to be home, though, even though I miss DC and all the people. I missed my friends and especially my FAMILY!!!


So I definitely won't fly American again, and I may think twice about flying between Milwaukee and Chicago again. (If you want to know the whole story, check out the first blog about my trip TO DC, "Airports and First Hours in DC." You will quickly understand why I refuse to fly American after my first experience with them.)





Oh, and that blog of top moments and key quotes is coming...just as soon as I sleep enough to make my brain work again...and unpack my paperwork. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment