Sunday, June 21, 2009

DC Local?!

This morning I woke up SUPER dizzy...it was very odd and not very comforting. I drank a LOT of water, though, and I feel better now. (Don't worry, mom. I'm drinking lots of water and being aware of my surroundings. And thanks, Jen, I'm staying safe.) Anyway...

Once I got my wits about me I pull out stuff to get ready for the day, and I ended up meeting some really cool girls from NY in the bathroom, of all places. Apparently I have a tendency to meet really cool people in weird places. I let the one girl borrow my hairspray after I heard her ask someone else, and she said that would never have happened where she lives...people are rude there. (Must be like Chicago.) Then she kept singing "I Just Can't Wait to be King" from the Lion King soundtrack. (I told you, she was a cool girl.) It was hilarious, but then I listened to the lyrics, and they were pretty telling of this trip:

No one saying do this,
No one saying be there,
No one saying stop that,
No one saying see here,
Free to run around all day,
Free to do it all my way!


Also, I learned something new today: In my study, approximately 90% of foreigners have milk in their coffee. (Said study was done during breakfast, of course.)

So I got out this morning, and after going to CVS (the ONLY time I've been hit up for money, so far!) I went to the National Archives. Was great. All the signs say the wait is going to be like an hour to even get in, and I waited like 20 mins, max. So I get in and I saw all kinds of things, including a short film that was oddly inspiring. I want to research something at the National Archives just because I can! (I may actually do that--just something simple--on Wednesday just because.) Of course I look at more things and read everything. So then I get to the part where you can see the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. Now you have to imagine ME doing this. Of course, I am super excited. The guard lets me in specially because he says,
"The single visitors I just let go right up to the floor." (He was very cool and let me up through his special rope guide dealy. So there I am, beyond excited to see the founding documents that changed the course of history. My excitement comes crashing down when this mom goes to her son, "Look, the Declaration of Independence! Can you believe this was written in 1779?" INSANE! Of course, I want it to be my job to correct her...but I refrain. That kid's going to be screwed up.

So I eventually leave there and go up to Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street. It's supposedly Bill Cosby's favorite place, and it was quite good (though spicy). It was the most crowded restaurant I've ever been in, though!!! I'd recommend it.

Then I take the Metro back down to the White House Visitor Center. Okay, so, it's nice that it's there and all, but I thought it was lame. I'd much rather just stand in front of the White House and look at it than have the video show me rooms and look at plaques. I'll just say I was underwhelmed and expected better. So needless to say, I left there pretty quickly.

Then I went to the National Gallery of Art--first the sculpture garden and then the East Gallery. This was a LONG walk because I didn't get back on the Metro. (It's not like there's a stop close the the Visitor's Center anyway.) Saw some very cool art, some of which I will upload pictures of later. Now, by this time it's like 6pm and I've been walking for like 9 hours. So I go back to the hostel for...actually, I can't remember why. I think I just went back there after I got frustrated with Cosi's. (It was still open...I called and asked. But the street door--they're in a building suite--was locked. Strange.) I sit down on my bed for like 2 mins and crashed. Woke up like 2 hours later and decided it was really time for dinner now, since it was like 8pm. So I called Oodles Noodles, this sushi and asian noodle place I had heard about, and they were open til 10. (Remember, everything closes early here, so I've learned to call ahead for hours.)

So I find it (with the help of my sister and the internet because this place wasn't on my map), and it was awesome. Great sushi, great noodles (which I actually have leftovers of...mmmmmm!), and a FABULOUS drink. Yes, a drink. I SO deserved it. Rum, cherry liqueur, cranberry, and orange juices. Bacardi Tu Tu Cherry...mmmmmmmm! Oh, and it turns out the name of the place is actually Noori, but I liked "Oodles Noodles" better. :-)

Other notes from the day:
1. I forgot that I don't like the tap water here. Oodles Noodles had good water, though, too.
2. I cannot go like an hour without someone asking me for directions or the like. Apparently I walk around here like I know where I'm going or something. :-) I love it when I can answer confidently. <3
3. The high school girls I met today called me a "lady." That was odd. I am not that old, nor that much older than she is.


Think that's about it...still loving it. HOW IT ENDS starts tomorrow. I am SO PSYCHED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment